Thursday, August 21, 2008

Wikipedia, a Serial Killer, and Weird People....My First Day in Intro to Baking.

Today was my first day of college, and believe me, it was an experience. The first class I had was introduction to baking. I was excited because it was actually a culinary class. Walking into the room, I shook the chef's hand and introduced myself. Before long, everyone was there and class began.

We started by going over the syllabus. As chef was reading through the syllabus, we came to a part that said we would have to do a report over a certified pastry chef. Chef explained that the report had to be enough to please him, which meant about a page and a half. It also had to have the sources cited, but MLA format was not necessary. Oh and let's not forget, Wikipedia is a valid source. As I was sitting there, I couldn't help but think I didn't belong. I am not saying I am extremely intelligent or anything, but even I know that anyone can edit Wikipedia! Heck, I created an article about myself a couple of years ago, and I edited the article for Pomona and Willow Springs!

As class continued, we got to the portion of class where we played the, "get to know your classmates game." One by one, we had to stand up and tell a little bit about ourselves and why we were there. When it got to be my turn to say why I was there, I couldn't help but think, "I don't know, you tell me." Watching each of my classmates give their introductions, each one seemed a little weird to me. I mean, I know I am far from normal but some of these people were way further away from normal on the spectrum than me! I know this maybe a little, ok very sterotypical, but I did make notes about each one of my classmates and how I felt about them:

Girl who sat next to me: Very strange. Kind of ran/skipped everywhere she was walking. Kind of had the emo look going on...wants to bake wedding cakes. I would guess she was around 20 years old.

Chick who sat on the other side of me: Class suck up. She was in my summer online class, and I saw her the one time I had to come in to take a test. She laughed at all the chef's jokes and asked tons of pointless questions....and I thought I was a suck up. She definitely got on my nerves a little. She acted as if she knew everything already.

Random chick down the row: A little slower than everyone else, but still nice all the same. She was going into baking because she baked with her grandma at home.

Artistic wonder: Kind of cute. Acted as if he knew everything already. Has been in school 8 years. First wanted to get an art degree then switched to culinary....only one in uniform for the day....ate peanut m&ms which are gross....plain would have been a much better choice. Drank Dr. Pepper which was a good choice.

Business Lady: She came dressed in business attire. 46 years old, she worked in the corporate world her whole life. Decided it was time for a change....talked to me at fifteen minute break...I don't think she likes me because I am young, as if I control that.

Divorced Woman Harboring Deep Hatred: She stood up and explained in a tone that implied she was harboring rage deep inside that she had just gotten divorced and it was time to do what she wanted to do. I say all the power to her...you go girl.

Nursing Chef: This chick looks my age but is really like 22. She can't decide whether or not she wants to be a nurse or a chef and wants to find a way to incorporate both into her career.

Undying Love Chick: She is the closest to my age. She is 19 and is engaged to her boyfriend. She explained that they have been dating a year and will be married in a year and a half when she turns 21. She will then be moving to Kansas City. Chef said something about rushing into marriage and all of the old people nodded their heads. Undying love chick replied by saying that they will have been together for two and a half years when they are married so that is plenty of time.

35 Years in Manufacturing Lady: She had spent the last 35 years working in manufacturing when the plant closed. Now she felt it is time to do something she really enjoys. Her sister works for Taste of Home...she went into full detail about this and how she could get us all magazines.

Coffee Chick: She carried her mug of coffee like it contained liquid gold. She is originally came from New Hampshire but moved to Springfield for personal reasons. A criminal perhaps?-Note she is not the serial killer...we will get to him later.

39 Year Old Hick Trucker: He had been a trucker for a very long time, but then he hurt his back two times. So, his wife told him to go get his culinary degree. That's why he is there.

Blonde headed guy who looked sleepy: He was obviously too cool to be there. He looked like he thought he was much better than anyone else in the room.

Marketing Guy: He was enrolled in marketing classes at Missouri State, and then he decided to go into culinary. He was very quiet the whole time.

Chick with the Facial Piercings: She bakes a lot of stuff and just gives it away because it is only her husband and her. She seems kind of strange. Mental note: make friends with her so she makes me food.

Serial Killer: He was in the military for eleven years. Wears extremely thick glasses and makes a lot of nervous gestures like he is paranoid. Could potentially hold entire class hostage.


And that, is my beautiful class. : )

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hahahahahahahaha.
Oh man. Funnnnny.

It Takes ALLLLL Kinds to make the world go around.

My computer is dying and I'm too lazy to get up and get the cord, so no more blogging for me tonight.