Thursday, August 21, 2008

How to Write a 5 Paragraph Essay....a Journey into Political Science

The second class I had today, was none other than good ol' political science. From looking at the book, I could tell it wouldn't be too difficult. I was just wondering what kind of people would be in my class.

When I first entered the room there were only three or four people in there, but it quickly filled up as more and more people entered. I was just sitting there minding my own business when all of a sudden an old guy with an eye patch walks in. Now I have nothing against people with eyepatches, I just found it rather strange that his highly resembled that of a pirate.

As he walked down the center aisle, I was silently praying he didn't sit next to me. I mean, after all, there were several other empty seats. But low and behold, he did sit right next to me. We didn't say a word the whole class time. He kind of scared me. I did however, have to keep myself from staring at the eye patch. I couldn't help but wonder how it would look if I painted on a skull and crossbones with some white out.

To keep myself from staring, I looked at the other guy who was sitting next to me. He looked to be about my age. He was drawing mountains on his paper. It was neat, I guess.

Finally class started as the instructor took role. He mispronounced my last name even though it isn't that hard. After taking roll, he passed out index cards where we had to write some information about ourselves and give our contact info. Then we went right into going over the syllabus. The syllabus didn't look any different than ones you would see in high school. On it was the basic course objectives and grading scale. There was also the rules for an essay we would have to do.

When we got to the point where we were discussing the essay, he explained that it would be our midterm and a due date would be given later. It was going to be a series of opinion papers. We had to take three controversial issues, pick a side, and write why we believe what we do, supporting it with facts. I was thinking it was going to be difficult until he said that they only had to be a page each, and MLA format was optional. Piece of Cake.

As we continued to go over the syllabus, we came to another portion that said something about writing five essays for a portfolio. The instructor then told us that portfolio was just a fancy term for binder. Then he explained that the five essays were going to be difficult, but we have the whole semester to do them. Then he said the length they had to be and I about cracked up right there. They only have to be 250 words minimum with a 500 word maximum! How hard is that?! Apparently it was hard for some in the past, because he went on to say that he has had people trying to cheat that minimum, but he will catch it.

He then decided to give us his secret method to writing a good paper. Waiting for some intellectual wisdom, I waited eagerly. Then he said, "Write a five paragraph essay." He then proceeded to explain how to write a five paragraph essay and even how to write a paragraph starting with the topic sentence and following with supporting details. Neat. Thank you oh wise sensei of college writing.

As the class progressed, I couldn't help but think that my instructor was exactly like Coach Madden, my 9th grade Civics teacher. In fact, I felt like I was repeating that class over again. I am not trying to be mean. He did seem like a nice guy. He had taught high school for 34 years, and he was now teaching part time at the college. The only problem I had with the class was that I felt like I was back in high school. I came to college looking for something to challenge me, and so far, it's not looking too good. But who knows, I could be surprised in the end.

After one full day of classes, two things are for certain. College will definitely be an experience, and of course, it will be great writing material!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This was a funny post, too! Your high school English teacher knows she didn't teach you the 5-paragraph method...but, man, it sounds so easy...like writing fits nicely into a little box.