Thursday, September 25, 2008

A Not So Peaceful Shower...

This morning I literally dragged myself out of bed so I could get ready for my baking class. Once I had hit the snooze button at least four times, I decided it was time for me to get up. After pulling back the covers and getting a sleepy look from Puggy, I went to take a shower. I hopped in and tried to hurry seeing as I was already late from hitting the snooze button so many times.

I was enjoying my shower, and I was very thankful that it was waking me up. I was just rinsing the shampoo out of my hair when all of a sudden I hear a loud siren like noise. Within seconds, I realized it was the smoke alarm! I sprinted out of the shower with Puggy chasing my heels.

Once I had made it into the bedroom, I looked around and saw that there was clearly no fire. I knew I had to get the smoke alarm to turn off. I knew it had to be waking up all of my neighbors at 7am, because no one in their right mind would be up at that God awful hour.

I ran into the kitchen and grabbed a chair from the kitchen table which was quite humorous. The reason it was humorous: I had had no time to put on any clothes in my mad rush to save Puggy and I. Luckily, all of my blinds were shut. Anyway, I grabbed the chair and quickly stood on it fanning at the smoke alarm. I figured if I could clear the invisible smoke, then it would shut off. Bad idea. Apparently, invisible smoke doesn't go away.

After the first failed attempt to get it to shut off, I decided to yank out the batteries. I unscrewed the alarm from the ceiling and just my luck, it was wired in. Immediately I went to the breaker box and searched for something that would turn it off. Thankfully, they had actually labeled it. I flipped the switch and things returned to normal....well, after Puggy stopped barking and I put clothes on.

So now if there is a fire in my apartment, I can only pray that my dog is a fire fighting dog, and she will wake me up in case of an emergency. But as I watch her shred a paper towel, I am reconsidering and think maybe it would be best to just tell the apartment people and have them fix it. : )

No comments: