Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Different Day, Same Story

Today I had my oh so wonderful political science class yet again. Nothing out of the ordinary happened in there today. It was just another boring day, but there was one thing the instructor said that I found blog worthy. Someone asked about our midterm and what exactly was required for it. I swear we go over it every single time we have class, but maybe I am wrong.

Anyway, the instructor explained that for our midterm, we have to write three, one page papers. In each of these papers, we have to take a stance on some controversial issue such as abortion or gun control and support our opinion. Then the lady asks how many references we have to have. This is when the instructor surprised me. He said that we didn't have to have any sources. WTF? How can you support your opinion if you don't have to prove that what you are saying is fact. This means I can make anything up...hmmm...I can see it now in someone's paper..."half of all people who buy a gun shoot someone." These papers will turn out to be just like the debate over seatbelts where supposedly according to one of my classmates the same amount of people die wearing their seatbelt as those who don't in car accidents. I am sure they will be interesting papers to read, but let's face it, they probably won't be the best arguments. Oh well, it isn't my job to read them....thankfully.

No comments: