Monday, September 15, 2008

Bittersweet Volleyball

Tonight I had the chance to go watch the volleyball game in Marshfield. I was excited, because I knew I would get to see a lot of my old high school friends, and I love volleyball. Watching it is very exciting for me. When I got there, I watched the JV play. Unfortunately they lost.

Then it was time for the varsity. They wanted me to go to the locker room with them before they went out so I did. Hearing their pregame rituals and pep talk from the coach really made me miss volleyball. I swore that I would never miss it, that I was glad to be done, but sitting there, I realized how much of a part of my life it had been.

When the team when out to warm up, I took my place in the stands, wishing I could join them. As I watched them hit, I felt excitement for them and their upcoming game. I felt the same excitement I felt when I was one of them.

The longer I sat there, the more I thought about volleyball and all of the good times I had. Sure their was a fair share of bad times, but I truly did love the sport. I found myself almost to the point of tears as the teams went to their individual huddles. It made me wish that I had a chance to relive my senior year again. I love Springfield and the freedom I have, but I would love to go back to high school for one more year. I spent the majority of my senior year just wanting out and not really caring. If I had a chance to go back I would cherish every moment and enjoy the time I had left.

Right before the game started, I was asked to line judge and I agreed although I don't particularly like doing it. Throughout the game, I did my best to make the right calls, watching intently as the ball sailed back and forth over the net. I tried not to get too involved, restraining myself from yelling as the game progressed. Being on the court where the action was almost made me feel like I was in high school again, playing my favorite sport. But unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to participate, and I had to just be a mere spectator from my corner. Now I am just a has been who can only talk about the glory days. : (

No comments: