Tuesday, January 20, 2009

History in the Making

When I woke up this morning, I turned on the news to watch the beginning of the inauguration ceremonies before class. Not much was happening. Commentators talked as the camera focused on the Blair house waiting for the Obamas to make their way to the car to attend the prayer service. Turning off the television, I headed off to class.

After going through my first two classes, I was making my way to my philosophy class when I happened to pass a television that was located in one of the hallways. More than twenty students stood, watching intently as President Obama made his address to the nation. I turned and watched for a couple minutes before I had to head to class. What I found more interesting, though, than the actual inauguration festivities was the people watching the television. Some looked happy, some fearful, others hopeful, and still some just stood in awe.

Whether or not you supported Obama in his campaign for the presidency, he is now our president, and we must support him as the leader of our nation. The U.S. is in a downward spiral. If we are to get out of it, we must abandon our party ties and work together as one. Today is a day that will go down in history. Our future is uncertain, but a new era has definitely come. Whether it will be for better or for worse, only time will tell. For now, I will pray for my nation and its leaders. It is days like today that I am truly proud to be an American.

No comments: