Thursday, January 1, 2009

Goodbye 2008, Hello 2009

Well, another year has come and gone. It seems like just yesterday we were ringing in 2008. Now here we are once again wondering what the coming year will bring. Will it bring joy or sadness? Peace or war? Love? Loss? No one knows. Only time will tell.

As I lay here typing this, I am very thankful for this time of tranquil reflection. I was supposed to hang out with one of my close friends tonight, but instead I ended up staying home to celebrate the new year with my family. It has turned out to be an okay evening.

Escaping from the living room full of crys of joy and defeat as my brother plays the wii, I lay here in the quiet environment of my room. The only sounds present are the buzzing of my overhead fan and the soft snoring of my pug. It is here that I can reflect on 2008 and all of the events that occurred.

In 2008, I got my tattoo, turned eighteen, graduated from high school, moved to Springfield, got a pug, got my second tattoo, wrote part of a book, started college, and even changed my major. 2008 was a tough year. It was a year of triumph and defeat for me. It was a year of growth and a year of change. In 2008 I saw myself at my lowest point and watched as I rose from the depths of a seemingly bottomless pit. I learned to forgive in 2008.

I was encouraged by a now former teacher and friend in January of 2008 to make a wish list of what I wanted in the coming year. Not resolutions, just wishes. I never did that for 2008 for many reasons, but now as 2009 approaches, I want to make a list, something to keep me going.

My wish list for 2009:
-Travel somewhere, anywhere
-Learn to let go
-Finish my book
-Do something that makes me happy
-Accept the fact that I cannot achieve perfection
-Stop procrastinating
-Blog more often
-Don't doubt God or myself
-Be a better daughter, student, and friend

If there is one thing I have learned in 2008, it's that everything can change in an instant. Nothing is certain or guaranteed. So for 2009, whatever it may bring, I want to live in the moment and never let an opportunity pass me by for I never know what the future will hold. So as I wave goodbye to 2008, I will try to put the past behind me and focus on a brighter future.

Happy New Year to all of my readers.....Dallas and Casey. :D

1 comment:

Unknown said...

HAHAHA. Happy New Year to you, too, Jordan!!!! :)