Tuesday, January 13, 2009

College: Semester Two, Day Two

Today was an enjoyable day of college...well, as enjoyable as waking up early and spending hours going over syllabus after syllabus can be. Anyway, today I had three new classes in addition to those I had yesterday. Today I had the pleasure of taking Computers, Abnormal Psychology, and Intro to Philosophy.



Let's start with computers.



Computers actually wasn't that bad, just boring. I do like my instructor though so that's a plus. We spent the entire hour and fifteen minutes going over the syllabus. But before we could begin to go over it, in the true nature of a computer class, we had to log in and retrieve our syllabus from the OTC blackboard site. Simple enough. But in case you haven't been awake for the past ten years, my instructor was gracious enough to explain just how we get there and what everything is along the way. For example: who knew the screen that pops up when your computer turns on with all the icons is called a desktop? Thankfully, I did already know this, and I have Mr. Leon Blagg to thank for it. Oh Mr. Blagg, how I miss you and "aa space aa space aa space" Those hours we spent together truly blessed my soul. That's enough reminiscing. Back to my college computer class. After explaining what the desktop was, he went on to explain the start button. Woohoo! Then after that discussion he showed us that the shortcut icon with the picture of the blue "e" with Internet Explorer written beside was indeed the path to the internet. Thank God it worked when I clicked on it...I was worried it would bring up power point or solitaire. After we finally reached the syllabus (I will spare you everything between the internet shortcut icon and the actual syllabus), we went over it word for word...all ten pages of it. Joy. Fortunately after we were done with that and a ten minute lecture on how he can see if we are on Facebook (It will definitely be hard for me to avoid logging on Facebook since I know I will have withdrawls), we were dismissed until the next time we met on Thursday.





Now on to Abnormal Psychology.



I had a fifteen minute wait between computers and abnormal psychology. My psych class was right across the hall from the computer lab, so it took virtually two seconds to get there. Waiting in the hall, I checked my text messages and reviewed my schedule to see where my philosophy class was. Then I just kept waiting and waiting and waiting. And then it was five minutes until class began and the door was still locked and the lights were off. Was I in the right place? Was this some sort of psychological trick to make me worry and show signs of anxiety? Well, after taking one more look at my schedule, I was indeed in the correct place if my schedule was correct. But after two more minutes of waiting, I finally asked the people who were sitting by me in the hall if they were waiting for abnormal psych too. They said yes, and I was instantly relieved. At least I wasn't the only one who was lost. Finally the instructor came, and we entered the class. We spent the class going over the syllabus and starting on the first chapter. My instructor is an older man who explained that he was in the original full time faculty at OTC when it started. He also told us a short bio of himself and his experience in the psychology field. He was a licensed therapist in Kansas for twenty years and then started teaching. I am sure we will hear some fascinating stories as the semester goes on. I am truly excited for this class. Not only will I be able to diagnose some psychological conditions and learn about the crazy people, I will be able to get an idea if I truly want to go into the field of psychology for a living. Hopefully the answer is yes, because I am tired of not knowing what I want to do with my life!





Finally, let's move to Intro to Philosophy.



When I got to philosophy, I had trouble finding a seat. It was a full class. When class began, there weren't any empty seats. As we were sitting there waiting for the instuctor to come in, all of a sudden in a flash, an obviously pregnant women runs in throws her stuff down and runs back out. Finally, she came back and took her place at the front of the room to teach the class. All I can say about philosophy is that I think I am going to love it and the instructor (I have Caron to thank for that one). Unfortunately, she will be leaving around spring break to have her baby. Who knows what the next professor will be like? Knowing my luck, it will be hell on earth. But for now, I will enjoy the random, crazy, funny Debbie Thompson. She cracked me up as she told how pregnant women lose 6% of their brain for gestational purposes and she said she was close to losing probably 9 or 10%. I loved how passionate and random she was as she furiously scribbled notes on the board, telling the story of how Socrates pissed off the Athenian government. I can already tell that she has a personality very similar to mine so we should get along great. Philosophy should be fun for me, because, after all, I am constantly questioning myself. It should be a good semester.



So that was day 2 in a nutshell. Today made me feel a little better about college in general. So I hope this semester will bring about a drive to be in school that I haven't experienced yet. We will just have to wait and see.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

be ye kind to my lady thompson. i warn thee, you'll have to deal with thine.


:)